Entry fees will be refundable if the event is cancelled due to COVID-19.
Defer Your Entry
You may defer your entry to next year’s event if the 2021 Malibu Triathlon is cancelled due to COVID-19.
If the event takes place and you plan to defer to 2022 then this request must be processed by the Event Registration Manager. An administration fee of 50% of the cost of the following year’s registration cost will be charged in the event you defer. Deferrals expire after 12 months. The athlete may request a deferral by submitting an email request prior to August 29, 2021.
You may not give or sell your number to anyone else. However, bib transfers are allowed for an administration charge of $25 and must be processed through your ACTIVE MyEvents account no later than September 10, 2021. If you transfer your bib, you will receive a refund (minus the $25 administration charge) once the new participant signs up. The new participant will need to pay the full entry fee at the time of the transfer. Log into your ACTIVE.com account and select “Transfer registration” to begin the process. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Swim Course Rules
Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wetsuit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wetsuit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit.
The wetsuit policy for elite athletes shall be determined by the USAT
Athletes Advisory Council. The AAC has set the wetsuit maximum temperature for elite/pros at 68 degrees for swim distances less than 3000 meters and 71.6 degrees for distances of 3000 meters or greater.
Any swimmer wearing a wetsuit with a thickness measured in any part greater than 5 millimeters shall be disqualified.
- Wearing swim goggles or a face mask is recommended, but optional
- No fins, paddles, or flotation devices of any kind allowed
- Timing Chips must be properly affixed on your ankle
- Swimmers are required to stay on course, swim clockwise and keep turn buoys on their right. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
- If you require assistance in the swim, you may hold on to any kayak as long as you do not make forward progress.
- A swimmer experiencing difficulty and in need of assistance shall raise an arm overhead, and pump it up and down, and call or seek assistance.
- No swimmer shall return to the race if the official rendering assistance requests that the participant withdraw from the race or receive medical assistance
- Each swimmer must wear the colored swim cap provided by race management
Bike Course Rules
- Absolutely NO DRAFTING of another bike or any other vehicle is allowed.
- Ride on the right side of your lane unless directed otherwise by race management/officials.
- Keep three bike lengths between yourself and the cyclist in front of you.
- Pass on the left of the cyclist in front, never on the right.
- Complete your pass within 15 seconds.
- If passed, you must drop completely out of the zone, to the rear, before attempting to re-pass.
- All bicycles shall be propelled only by human force and human power. Any violation of this section shall result in disqualification.
- The sole responsibility of knowing and following the prescribed cycling course rests with each participant. No adjustments in times or results shall be made for participants who fail to follow the proper course for any reason whatsoever.
- Athletes must obey all traffic laws while on the cycling course unless otherwise specifically directed by an official, race monitor, or designee with actual authority. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
- No athlete shall endanger himself or another athlete. Athletes who intentionally present a danger to any athlete or who, in the judgment of the Head Referee, appear to present a danger to any athlete may be disqualified.
- A CPSC-approved helmet is required during the entire bike portion, including in and out of transition. Athletes riding without an approved helmet or chinstrap not fastened may be disqualified. Alterations to a hard-shell helmet, which affect its integrity, are not allowed.
- Do not litter. Any item that needs to be discarded, including but not limited to water bottles, gel wrappers, energy bar wrappers, broken bike parts, or clothing items, may only be discarded in the trash drop zones at each aid station. Discarding any item outside of the trash drop zones will result in a penalty. Please keep California clean!
- Headphones or headsets which are inserted in or covering the ears are not allowed during any portion of the event.
Run Course Rules
All athletes are required to wear race numbers at all times during the run:
- Numbers clearly visible at all times
- Numbers may not be cut or folded or altered in any way
- Numbers designated to other athletes make not be used
Audio players are not to be carried or worn at any time during the race:
- earbuds, headphones, headsets
- walkmans, ipods, mp3 players
- any personal audio devices
All personal equipment and belongings taken out onto the course must stay on the athlete the entire time. No garbage, clothing, etc. shall be thrown on the course.
No individual support vehicles or non-athlete escort runners are allowed on course.
Athletes are expected to follow the directions and instructions of all race officials and public authorities.
The sole responsibility of knowing and following the prescribed running course rests with each athlete. No adjustments in times or results shall be made for athletes who fail to follow the proper course for any reason whatsoever.
Friends and/or family members are not permitted to cross the finish line or enter the finish chute with participating athletes. This policy will allow each competitor adequate time to celebrate their accomplishment without interfering with other finishers and ensure the safety of all athletes, volunteers, and fans.
For more multisport rules visit Team USA website